When we first toured our house, I instantly fell in love with the room that is now the nursery. Just look at these windows!
There are a total of six. Buying curtains for six windows would cost more money than I wanted to spend. A friend of mine told me how she uses flat sheets as curtains--cheap, easy, and you don't even have to do any sewing. But with the dimensions of these windows (32" x 46" each), that still would not work out. So, I went to a local flea market and found two matching king size fitted sheets. Flat sheets would have been easier to work with, but I was lucky enough to find two of the same color. At only $3 each, I couldn't pass it up.
In order to make the sheets workable, I ripped the corner seams out and cut off the elastic. Then, I laid them out of the floor and tried to figure out the best way to get all the panels I needed (six from each sheet).
Let me say right here that I am not a spatial thinker. When it comes to measuring things, and really any sort of geometry at all, my mind gets all befuddled and I have to think really hard about it. I thought I had it figured out, and started cutting and ripping. Too late I realized that I had messed up and now I have a Frankenstein panel, put together from two smaller pieces.
I cut out the pieces I needed. The easiest way to do this is by cutting a little at the end of the fabric and then ripping the fabric the rest of the way. This way you get straight lines and correct measurements.
Now the fun part: ironing! I really don't like to iron, but it makes sewing the hems so much easier.
I used my sewing/knitting gauge to make sure I had the measurement right throughout. I did a three inch hem at the bottom and the top and a half inch hem on the sides.
After ironing the three inch hem, I went ahead and pinned it to get it ready to sew.
After ironing all the hems, it was time to sew them! It was very simple. I started out with the top seam. I sort of eye-balled the seam allowance at about half an inch.
Then, I sewed a line of stitches an inch from the top to create a casing for the curtain rod.
I used a quarter inch seam allowance on the sides.
What I love most about sewing is that you really can't screw it up too badly. If you're like me and tend to daydream a little while sewing and make a mistake, you can just rip out the seam. My seam ripper is my best friend.
After sewing up the sides, you're done! Super easy and super cheap. They may be simple, but they do the job. I must say I'm quite proud of my little curtains. :)