Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Grown-up House


It may seem strange to say, but I feel myself slowly realizing that I am, in fact, a grown up. With a real house and family of my own and a car and everything. It's strange because until recently I have always looked at certain things and said to myself "Someday..."  As in, "Someday I will have a house of my own with a yard and I can do all this cool stuff." And someday is here, has been here for a little while now. So I think I'm going to start concentrating on making my home the way I have dreamed it would be.

Most of my craft efforts have been focused on making gifts for other people. While I love doing that, it occurred to me that I can also make things for myself and my home (duh!). I have started doing some actual decorating from scratch with Lex's room and am very pleased with it so far. I think my first order of business will be to finish his room up. Here are some pictures of it when we first moved in.




When we first looked at the place, I fell in love with all these windows! Aren't they great? I've done a lot with his room, but I'll save those pictures for another post.

The rest of my house is another story. See, most of my furniture is inherited and is kind of a hodge podge of different styles and woods. Likewise, most of my decorative pieces have been acquired piecemeal over the years with no real design in mind. As I look around, I see things I have had since high school and I'm thinking it's time for a change. It's time for some design. Here's a look at my living room when we first moved in.


There have been some changes (like getting rid of that sad chair), but it's still very similar.

So, I've decided to start a new series called "My Grown-up House." I am going to room-by-room redecorating on a very small budget. I'm basically going to be transitioning from a college apartment to a more grown-up, cohesive space.

There are still other somedays like "Someday when I own my own house..." or "Someday when Lex is bigger..." but I can still wait for those.

1 comment:

  1. I hate decorating rentals because the first thing I want to do is paint. :) But at least yous looks like it has neutral paint already.

    Looking forward to see what you do with the place.

    ReplyDelete