The first room I'm making over belongs to my sweet baby Lex. When we first moved in, his room needed the most work. It had a lot of issues but also a lot of potential.
Don't you just love these windows?
See the icky fake wood paneling?
Lots of built-in storage, which is great.
See what I mean? Lots of work but lots of potential. I pleaded with my landlord to let me paint over the paneling. Being the awesome guy that he is, he agreed, as long as I painted it the same color as the rest of the house. He even provided the primer and the paint! After several weeks of painting while very pregnant and with help from friends, the kids and the husband, we finally got it done. Ta-da!
And yes, I also repainted the trim and built-ins. It was a big fat pain in the butt but completely necessary. Unfortunately, I made a rookie mistake and bought the cheapest possible paint. It was way too thin and I ended up doing three coats even after priming! And the worst part is that the tape pulled some big chunks off when I was removing it, and you can tell that it's not going to hold up very well to wear and tear. I may end up having to sand and repaint all the trim again, but I really really hope not.
Overall, I think it turned out pretty great. One thing I've heard over and over from decorating shows is that paint gives you the biggest bang for your buck. I think this little transformation proves that quite well.